State : Nagaland, the north eastern state of India.
Best Season to Trek : November to March.
Locations for Trekking : Dzukou Valley, Mokokchung, Pungro, Mount Tiyi, Satoi Range.
Trekking Tips : Take trekking shoes and other trekking equipment with yourself. Try to contact a proper trekking guide, who would help you in your trekking requirements and also in organising your treks to Nagaland.
Trekking Adventure Tours in Nagaland
Nagaland in the north eastern part of India is trekker's paradise. The adventurous land of Nagaland offers bountiful trekking opportunities. The physiology of Nagaland is hilly and mountainous with lush green surroundings. The environment of Nagaland is salubrious, providing healthy atmosphere to the tourists in Nagaland. For a driving and daring leisure seeker, few destinations in the world would match the trekking dimensions of Nagaland.
The Major Treks in Nagaland
Dzukou Valley is tucked away at a height of 2433.4 Sq. Mt. Above the sea level on south-east of Kohima. Located about 25 km from Kohima, Dzukou Valley can be reached from different land routes via NH-39. The gentle rolling hills and undulating values of Dzukou valley offers solace & peace to any tourist from any part of the world. Dzukou Valley is a favourite destination of young trekkers and meditation groups. Dzulou is also blessed with a rich ecosystem of bio-diversity. The swirling streams and rippling rivulets flow abundantly through the valley, and rhododendron of various colour, beatify the hills, rocks & riverbanks during spring. During summer this valley becomes a veritable garden of Eden with variety of flowers such as Lilium, Mackliniae, Caltha palustris, Anemone revelries, Euphorbias, etc in full bloom.
Mokokchung is 162 km from Kohima via Wokha, 70 km from Zunheboto, 115 km from Tuensang, 102 km from Amguri (Assam) and 103 km from Mariani (Assam). Situated at an altitude of 1325 m above sea level, Mokokchung is a picturesque location and the cultural centre of the Ao Nagas. White water rivers of Milak and Tzula are of scenic interest has a lot of potential for monsoon angling. This is also an ideal trekking haunt for the trekkers.
The circle headquarters is only 36 km from Kiphire. From here it takes two days of trekking to reach Saramati peak, a part of which falls in Myanmar.
Mount Tiyi is situated at an altitude of 1969.61 m from sea-level. Trekking is an adventurous experience, taken by several tourist here. Colourful Rhododendrons are found on the cliffs and steep slopes. The mountain peak offers a panoramic view of the valley down below.
Satoi Range is one of the only remaining unspoilt forests left in Zunheboto district. Satoi Range a place of pristine beauty. This place is the natural habitat of the Blythe's Tragopan, a rare bird on the verge of extinction. During the months of April, May you may also find rare Rhododendrons adorning the hills. It is an ideal spot for outdoor camping and trekking.
Information About Adventure Trekking Tours in Nagaland, India
Health Required for Trekking in Nagaland, India
Not much requirement is necessary for low-altitude trekking and nature walks. However, for high-altitude trekking, the physical requirements are almost the same as for mountaineering and climbing. People with high/low blood pressure or who are overweight are advised not to participate in high-altitude games and sports. People below 16 years and above 60 years are also discouraged from participating in this sport.
1. It is advisable not to go for unrealistic programs. When chalking out your program, give sufficient time for altitude acclimatization. During the program never try to be too hurried. It can be dangerous.
2. Decide what you want to participate in: is it high-altitude adventure trekking tour or nature walking only? Look for the level of difficulty involved in the program and whether your physical fitness is up to the level of competence required.
3. Important addresses, phone numbers, and email IDs should be distributed among the organizers, coordinators, and all the group members.
4. All the medicines that one may require and other basic surgical equipments should accompany group.
5. Divide all the responsibilities among the group members. Each member of the group should have proper training and experience of handling mountaineering equipments.
6. Sufficient ration should be there to take care of any eventuality.
7. High-altitude sickness or high-altitude madness is a common phenomenon among the trekkers and mountaineers. If you are participating in these programs for the first time, make yourself aware of the symptoms and methods to deal with this problem. It is necessary for the members of the expedition to know how to deal with snow blindness, frostbiting, and sunburning.
8. All the members should know proper mountaineering guidelines, high-altitude survival techniques, and first-aid techniques.
9. Sensitivity to environment and respect of the local culture are some of the social issues for which all the members of an expedition group should be counselled properly. Go away from the campsite for the morning chores. Do not attend to nature's call within a range of 300 feet from the water source. If you are using toilet papers, remember to bury them in the ground. Do not leave anything back in the hills.